Your professor may arrange it so that you can come back to BHS to do independent research after your class visits as a group. Some SAFA courses will require students to return on their own time, others may simply suggest it, and some classes may not plan for independent research at all. Ask your professor if you have any questions.
What to Expect
When to Come
The Othmer Library at the Brooklyn Historical Society is open Wednesday through Friday from 1:00 pm until 5:00 pm. Please note that the library is not always open when the museum is open (Wednesday through Sunday, 12:00 pm – 5:00 pm). Your professor will inform you of the last date possible to come visit BHS on your won — we will only have materials set aside for your class until that date.
What to Bring
- A sweater (it’s cold in here!)
- A camera so you can take research photos)
- Something to takes notes with — such as a pencil and paper, laptop, or tablet
- Your professor’s instructions
Arriving at BHS
Please show your school ID at the front desk, and inform our staff that you will be using the library. You do not need to pay admission with your school ID. You can make your way up to the library on the 2nd floor.
In the Library
You will need to:
- put your bag, coat, hat, etc. aside
- sign in on the SAFA form
- abide by all reading room rules (no pens, no flash photography, no food or drink, etc.)
- inform our staff of your professor’s name and which group you are in, and they will make the right materials available to you.
You should be all set to go from there! Our library staff will available to answer any questions you may have during your independent research visit.